Saturday 3 July 2010

My introduction to yoga


For a long time I've been interested in yoga and been thinking about joining a yogaclass. The problem has been, however, that those classes are rather expensive and since I'm a skint little hippie that has been out of the question. But then suddenly I realised "Hey! I've got the internet, there's got to be something out there that can guide me along the way." And there was.

I asked around this forum I hang out at and one of the girls there suggested an instructional video called "Ashtanga Yoga Beginners Practice" with a woman named Nicki Doane. So I searched for it, found it and downloaded it (I really am sorry, Nicki. If I ever come across your DVD I'm gonna buy it, I promise!) and it's great! She guides you through the various vinyasas slowly and eases you into it gradually and gently. Nicki's voice is very soothing and the constant guiding when it comes to breathing and such doesn't disturb my focus at all.

I must admit that I haven't been able to go through the entire video yet though since I'm in lousy shape and these past few days (I only had my first session two days ago) have been very warm and it's difficult to keep the Downward Dog for five deep breaths when my hands and feet are sweating and I'm just slipping around on my mat. (If anyone has any tricks up their sleeve on how to avoid that I'd be very happy to hear them.)

Even though I've only done two sessions I can feel the yoga working its magic on my muscles. Especially my tummy. My poor practiacally non-exsistant abs are so sore, but somehow it feels good. I'm glad to have found yoga as interesting in practice as I did in theory and also very thankful for finding Nicki Doane's wonderful video.

No comments: